Monday, March 28, 2005

A Few Quick Thoughts

Ok, since I have gone five days since posting, and some people have been complaining (well, ok, two people-- shout to Jake and Rosie!). But, I ask you, how would I know that anyone is reading if no one leaves any comments? Hmm? Hmm?

Anyway, I figured I'd just post a few quick thoughts on a few things right now, while I have some bigger and more substantial post ideas floating around my head, perculating.

- I've seen two movies the past two weekends: The Ring 2 and Be Cool. Let me say this: Be Cool got ragged on by alot of critics, but it sure was better than the second installment of The Ring (although that might not be saying much). Be Cool won't be confused with a great film, and it probably isn't better than Get Shorty. However, it's a fun movie to watch, it entertains you. Chili Palmer is a great character, and while he doesn't really change much from the first film to the second, it's still fun to visit with him. And hey, you can't really front on a movie with features Uma Thurman, Christina Milian, and Fergie from Black Eyed Peas all looking extremely sexy.

All of which is more than can be said for The Ring 2. I'll be honest-- the first one scared the Hell out of me. I can still vividly remember coming back to my girlfriend's apartment after seeing that in the theater and being afraid to turn on the TV. Me and her made a vow never to watch that movie again, because it definitely had us rattled. So I was a little apprehensive about seeing The Ring 2...

But it never scared me. Not even for a second. I don't know, maybe the magic from the first one disappeared, maybe since the first one and all it's imitations (especially with other Japanese horror flicks like The Grudge coming in mining much of the same tricks), I've grown accustomed to it (although I usually don't like horror flicks). But it just never ever hooked me. The whole movie I was waiting to be surprised, waiting to jump out of my seat, but it never happened. I even sat there and predicted it.

Hopefully, both of those movies will pale in comparison with Sin City. I don't think I've been this hype for a movie since the first Kill Bill dropped. Ever since I saw a Jessica Alba preview poster for the movie, I've been waiting for this. I used to read the comics (I even once got Frank Millers autograph-- I'm a dork), so I was already interested. Combine that with the cast they assembled, and now you see the trailer-- I'm hype. I'll be seeing it next Friday.

Well, there goes a longer than expected movie rant...

-- I've also been downloading a lot of dope ass music lately. Since Soulseek finally fixed their searching problems, I've been on a downloading spree. Some of it is stuff from last year I'm still getting around to checking out or bands I'm just discovering, some of it is stuff that is either just dropping or about to drop in the coming weeks. I haven't had time to digest it all yet, so complete indepth reviews will be forthcoming. However, I will say that right now I'm digging the dance rock grooves of VHS or Beta, the quirky rhythms of M.I.A., Chuck D's collaboration with Z-Trip, "Shock And Awe," chill out from Ivy and the Doves, and lots of other good stuff. As I said, further reviews should be forthcoming.

Speaking of forthcoming reviews, I'm planning on putting up my review of what I think might be the best album I've heard so early in 2005, Bloc Party's Silent Alarm.

So there ya go... gnash on that for a lil' while, and holler at the kid in the comments section.
|

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learn how to spell ... it's percOlating ...
Dad

March 30, 2005 10:27 AM  
Blogger Jane Hamsher said...

Bloc Party's Silent Alarm? I'll check it out.

March 30, 2005 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home