Monday, April 04, 2005

Yankee Fans: They Still Suck

In the first of what will most likely be a long running theme of this blog (because it's just so damn easy), I am going to point out why my hatred of Yankee fans is justified. For example, this would be one of my Yankee fan friends away messages today:

"April 3, 2005 Opening Day at Yankee Stadium will be a day in New York sports that will be remembered FOREVER!"

Uhm, no.

Now, don't get me wrong, as my previous post points out all too well, I'm excited as all Hell by the fact that baseball is here again (and we'll get to the Mets in a moment). But c'mon, what was so memorable about last night? That Randy Johnson pitched well? Shocker! That the Yankees finally stopped the Red Sox Stadium winning streak (at 2, if you were counting)? It's not like the Yankees did anything special last night or made a statement of any sort. They just won a ballgame. As they undoubtedly will continue to do throughout the summer and on into the fall. They should win many games. In fact, by the end of April, if not sooner, most will have forgotten Opening Day (as well they should).

But its statements like that that just prove why I hate Yankee fans. It's the smugness, the know it all attitude, the belief that anything and everything touched by the Bronx Bombers is a gift from the Heavens. It's how, in their twisted little minds, one largely insignificant game turns into "a day in New York sports history that will live FOREVER!" They won a game-- and yes, it was against the Red Sox, and everyone likes to get off on the right foot and all-- but really, big damn deal. It wasn't even that memorable of a game, hardly any drama involved at all. Just one of 162, folks, just one of 162...

I much prefer my friend Rosie's take on it:

"yankee fans are all the same. yes we're all glad you're 1-0 in a 162 game season triumphing against an old drunk fat ass, but how many of those would you have traded for game 4 back? and even though the mets bullpen can't back up 12 k's from pedro, we look forward to seeing you in queens in 7 weeks...come on out and meet the mets, bitches"

Ahhh yes, my Mets...

Where to begin? I wish that I could have been following all the action from my couch with a bag of chips and a beer, rather than at my desk at work feverishly refreshing ESPN.com... but these are the crosses we all must bear. I haven't even seen any of the highlights left, but these are my initial thoughts on this game and the season to come:

- Can't hate on Beltran. It's always nice when your high priced superstar goes 3-4 with a HR, 3 RBI's, missing only a triple for the cycle on his first game out the box. Way to eliminate any fear of starting off slow, my man-- you're making my $250 investment in your jersey look like money well spent, pal!

- Pedro. Wow. Gets through the first inning and the HR to Dunn, and then turns into Pedro of old. Hitless for the next five innings, 9 K's through 4 innings, 12 through 5? Daaaaamn son... looks like Minaya knows what he's doing and all those preseason prognosticators might have been right to pick you for NL Cy Young. Keep dealing like that, buddy, and it's gonna be a fun summer.

- Cliff Floyd. A dinger! Hey now, maybe you can stay healthy, and we'll have a real lineup!

- David Wright hitting 8th. I don't like it. I know it probably won't last, but that's just idiotic. This is a guy who hit 14 homeruns in only 263 AB's at age 21. Everything we saw last year, and his minor league track record indicate that he can handle the major leagues, yet Randolph buries him in front of the pitcher, where he's never going to see anything good to hit. C'mon-- Wright and Reyes are the best young talents we have, put them in a position to excel (gotta love Reyes' 3-5 today-- gotta stay healthy kid!) ! There's no reason why Wright should be hitting behind Cameron or Mientkiewicz. Hit him 5th or 6th, Willie.

- The bullpen. Well, we know it was gonna suck, but did it have to start today? And did it have to be the one guy that Mets fans had some kind of faith in? I mean jeez, when you look at our pen, at least you say "Well, we got Looper, he's good." So what happens? Comes in and turns a 6-4 game into a 7-6 loss. As soon as Dunn's homerun left the yard and tied the game (thus taking a W away from Pedro), I imagine Tom Glavine ambled up to Pedro, patted him on the shoulder, and said "Welcome to the Mets, Petey." Please do something about this, Omar Minaya, and fast. And no, Dennys Baez is not the answer.

Goddamn, it's gonna be a long year... can't wait for next Monday at Shea!

(I swear, not every post is going to be about baseball. Stick with me, I promise. Long promised Bloc Party review will hopefully be up either tonight or tomorrow, depending on whether I read or watch baseball before the UNC-Illinois game or actually sit down and write this thing. It, and many other CD reviews, are coming, I swear!)
|

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh baseball,
and who would think, after all my love and support for your writing i would be subjected to this!!

I still luv u baby!
M

April 05, 2005 3:19 PM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

Maya- I'm really doing a public service. I'm just pointing out why Yankee fans suck, for those that don't know!

April 05, 2005 4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Willie Randolph was a Yankee, and a fine one at that. Deep down in his heart he's also probably....a Yankees fan! What do you think about that Danny boy? Are you hating on your own beloved manager? Maybe the Mets will win a few games this year with a Torre disciple at the helm.

God it's fun to be an asshole Yankees fan. I don't get enough of this shit down here in the frickin desert. By the way Dan I'm going to the Oakland Coloseum on May 15th to watch the Bronx Bombers take the A's behind the wood shed. Also I went to Gaints game two weeks ago and saw a game winning grand slam into the bay. Talk to you later.

April 23, 2005 3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home