Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Maynard Finds Jesus!?!

Ok, so this isn't exactly the music post I was planning on writing today, but I just had to post about this: Supposedly, Maynard James Keenan, frontman of Tool/ A Perfect Circle, has apparently found Jesus and Tool "will have to take a back seat."

You can read about it here.

Now, as the article states, it hasn't exactly been confirmed, and it may be an elaborate April Fool's Day prank that has run a little long. But...

WHAT THE FUCK?

Even though I am not religious, I do not begrudge people their religious beliefs, as long as they do not try to hoist them upon me or tell me that I'm going to Hell. I certainly do not begrudge a formerly unreligious person suddenly finding religion, for whatever reasons. But this is just bizarre.

Forget for a second that Tool is one of my favorite bands and I'm gonna be pissed if I can't hear anything more from them. Think about who Maynard James Keenan is (or at least what he's given to the public via song, since he's a pretty private guy once the show is over). I mean, this is the man that wrote "Prison Sex," right? The guy that wrote "Judith," or "Opiate," correct? I mean, I used to joke that The 13th Step was the first Maynard-related prokect that didn't contain at least one song with fairly overt anti-Christian/anti-organized religious themes. Everything lead you to believe that there was an extremely deep seated anger and resentment towards organized religion, on more than a strictly intelectual level, that never would have led Maynard to even consider religion as a source of anything but meaningless dogma and suffocating rhetoric.

That's why it's so bizarre, so out of left field. I mean, I guess that guy from Korn, Head, proclaiming himself to be born again was fairly unexpected too. You don't really think of Korn as a band that really believes in God too much either. But really, does anyone care about Korn anymore? And any credibility Head might have had quickly dissipated when he came out with his "attempt" to save 50 Cent (Note to Maynard: Don't do that. If this really is true, don't get all preachy. You weren't like that before, please don't get like that now. Of course, according to the MTV News report, Head called Maynard's announcement a "beautiful, beautiful outpouring of the Holy Spirit." Whatever). And more importantly, there was no backstory with Head, no reason to believe that he was vociferously against religion, no reason to consider that it the last possible place for him to go, as is the case with Maynard. That's why this news is a little bit weirder. Certainly unexpected.

I don't know, that's just not the kind of news I was expecting to find on the Internet at 12:20 in the morning...
|

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to believe it. It's an April fools joke they were too lazy to get erased and/or explained.

For the love of baby jebus, Maynard has written songs ranging from prison sex to his very own penis...I think it's safe to assume that he would only like Jesus if Jesus was willing to go down on him.

/apologizes for vulgar post.

April 06, 2005 4:42 PM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

Christie,

First off, there's no need to apologize for the vulgar post-- that's exactly the kind of material we like and look for 'round these parts!

Secondly, I completely agree with you. That's why I wrote that post, because to me, it's about the last thing I'd ever expect.

I hope you're right about it being a lazy ass (and really bad) April Fools day joke. Perhaps Maynard should give you and Bob a call next year?

April 06, 2005 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

w/o going to deeply into the whole thing when maynard proclaimes finding chirst in essence he speaks of a frame of "consciousness" that not everyone can relate. there is about 15% of the worlds population today that can understand what he speaks of. there are some key factors to building himself to this level of "consciousness" if you read up on JUNG and can grasp the idea of what 46&2 is truely about. then progress to maynards personality of being "a sensative" one. one who is capable of empathy and compashion CONNECTING you will understand more his frame of mind. you cant deny him! he has connected to you. he has made you feel! ask yourselves how he was able to do that. he never said anything about church or converting to christianity. he just said something very simple and very basic "i found christ" he found a higher consciousness... some people will read this and understand what im sying but most of you that are caught up in the race for "life" will disreguard me and those like me. but i am and we are the truth!
if anyone cares to rant and rave with me over this or those of you who can grasp reality feel free and email me (matthewb916@hotmail.com) i would be happy to hear from you

January 28, 2008 2:38 AM  
Anonymous Joseph said...

It's been years after this whole tasteless joke and it has caused me to totally lose respect for Maynard. I used to really respect him as an artist and person and I was actually happy for him when this whole thing came out. I thought Maynard had found something that would lead him to a more peaceful, loving life and I was happy. I was ashamed at his so called fans who were selfishly upset because they knew Tool would be ending.

Then the truth came out... Maynard was just playing a childish joke and I realized that he himself really is a TOOL. What an arrogant, selfish, incredibly insensitive thing to do. I don't care about screwing with his fans because they thought tool was ending (that was kinda funny) but to do that to people who were genuinely concerned about him is lame. I lost all respect for him and quite frankly his work has sucked since then. 10,000 days could never hold a candle to their old work and Pusicer is just juvinile garbage.

Having said all that it's funny how fasionable it is to pick on Christinity today. Tools like Maynard an so many people think they are being so counter culture by bashing Jesus but they are really just playing into the whole system they say to reject. They say "oh look at all the harm Christians do" but that is such an ignorant cliche and it isn't even true (for the sake of not ranting, I will leave it at that). Point is Jesus was rad, he called for loving our enemies, standing against the powers that be and not being like all the other assholes around you. He was a guy who hung out with whores and yet called out the religious establishment of his day as being corrupt. So people like Maynard like to talk about love and how much they hate the establishment and yet they bash Jesus... well, they are really just hypocrites.

This whole thing proves what a douche bag Maynard really is. I can't believe I thought that guy was different... he's just a bitter old soul. He blames God for the death of his mother (who was a Christian) because he dosent have insight or wisdom to see past his own ego.

February 27, 2010 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home