Friday, May 20, 2005

A Life On The Brink

Fear not, my friends, for I have returned!

I know that I have not posted much in the past two weeks (I think there's been something like two posts in the past two weeks... pathetic), but your boy here has been going through some drama in the ol' personal life, which has forced MSF to the backburner a bit (that, and I haven't had much to write about).

If you go back a few weeks, you'll notice sprinkled throughout my posts referrences to "the new job" and things of that sort. Well.... I no longer have that "new job." That's because I quit. In lieu of receiving a $500,000 lawsuit for violation of non-confidentiality, I'll err on the side of caution and all I'll say is that it just wasn't for me and I wasn't comfortable, so I peaced rather than throw shade. So, once again, I am unemployed.

Now, through that one simple action, many possible paths have opened up. And it appears likely that I will be choosing the one that leads away from the great state of New York, and towards the political capital of this nation, Washington D.C. It is highly likely in the next two weeks that I will be moving to Washington with two buddies of mine from school, in hopes of finding a job doing research or something political. This is what interests me most--writing, researching, thinking analytically-- and so I have decided to take a leap of faith and actually find a job that interests me.

Notice, however, I said "in hopes of finding a job." Because, in all likelihood, I will be taking the DC plunge sans immediate employment. It's a little intimidating, and kind of a little scary, to just up and move away from everything you've ever known and say "Fuck it, what else do I have to lose?" But, I realize that I'm 24, and it's time to start getting serious about my life and what I plan to do with it. So, at this juncture, I'm going for dolo, trying to grow and figure out where I belong in this world (if that's possible). And part of that requires, at least to my thinking, biting the bullet and doing the scary thing-- moving away and seeing if I can hack it on my own, for real. It feels like something I have to do, not just from an employment standpoint but from a personal standpoint-- I want to challenge myself, as well as maybe escape some of the bad habits I've developed here in NY. It will be interesting no doubt, and I am excited, but I am also tremendously nervous as well.

Thus, you can understand why I'm a little stressed and a tad bit nervous about the whole thing, thus forcing the blogging to the side a little bit. And for that, I apologize. All I can really offer you is that when things return to some state of normalcy (and I get my computer fixed so that it doesn't act all crazy and actually lets me sign on to the internet), you will see the number of posts on the blog increase once again. I don't usually like to get into personal matters here on this blog, but I thought that I would at least try to explain what is going on around me, rather than simply drop one of my now patented "I'm sorry, more stuff is coming soon, I promise!" notes here (although a review of the new SOAD CD, Mesmerize, should be up sometime tomorrow). Please forgive me!

And, if anyone has any hot tips on where to find jobs in DC or places to live, please do feel free to give the kid the hookup, it would be much appreciated.