Wednesday, April 27, 2005

With The Quickness

Ok, I'm sorry for not posting anything in a few days (doesn't it seem like I make this pronouncement every weel? Damn...), but I have about 2-3 posts fully formed (in my head at least) and they're coming. It's just a confluence of events have kept me from posting them as I had intended (i.e., starting on Monday). These events have included, but are not limited to, a frenzied drive all over the county to see The Interpreter (Entertaining, but leaving a lot to be desired. Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman-- who looks gorgeous, as always-- are good, but the script keeps them bound down. It misses a certain feeling of energy and excitement that keeps you from fully investing yourself in the film. Rent it in a few months when you've got nothing better to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon, but there's really no need to drop $10 on it) Monday night and yet another trip to the Mecca (a/k/a/ Shea Stadium) to see Pedro pitch (the Dominican Dominator was a little off, giving up 4 early runs before settling down while the Good Guys comeback attempts fell just a little short in the bottom of the 9th) last night.

But fear not! I have a review of New Order's new Waiting For The Sirens Call planned (I was shooting to have it up Monday, or at the very least Tuesday, due to the US release date being Tuesday, but Pedro trumps Bernard Sumner, at least in this blogga's mind). I also am developing (again, in the brain) an essay based in part on the 40 second DJ Shadow song "Why Does Hip Hop Suck in '96?"-- trust me, that might sound odd, but it makes sense to me and you will soon be enlightened. And speaking of Mr. Josh Davis, I'm also planning on running my thoughts on his debut album, Endtroducing, for a new semi-regular feature I'm gonna do here: MSF Classics. Essentially, the idea will be that whenever I feel like it, I'm going to run a review of some of my favorite records of all time, the ones that I think are the classic joints, my own "Desert Island Discs" list if you will. I'll even give you a teaser: Last night, while conversing with a few of my friends, I suggested that Endtroducing might just be my favorite album ever. Apparently Mr. Shadow (I feel like The New York Times-- one of the funniest things I ever read was in an old Times review of a Wu Tang show, where they kept referring to ODB as "Mr. Bastard," but I digress) and Island Records agree that Endtroducing is indeed the bees knees, as it's about to be re-released with a whole bunch of tacked on crap.

So anywho, sit tight kiddies! More of the MSF goodness is coming your way soon!

And oh yeah... I got another letter published in Altercation! This one talks about the RIAA business that I wrote about on Saturday, and I even snuck in a plug for this very blog! HOLLA AT THE KID!

And oh yeah... to any peeps who may have found their way here from firedoglake (good lookin' out on the shout Jane, much love) or perhaps even the aforementioned Altercation, welcome! I hope that my mostly musical ramblings are not too inane, and at the very least, help you kill a few minutes of time while serving The Man at work. Please do leave comments and let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is always welcome and indeed appreciated, as are the giving of props and even marriage proposals, if you're so inclined!

Back later today (hopefully!)...

UPDATE: Since a few people have told me that they have attempted to comment on this blog yet were unable to do so for some reason (I have no idea why, I didn't think it was that hard), I tried to install Haloscan on this page, because in my experiene it is alot easier and alot cooler to use. But, being that I have next to no real HTML knowledge, I don't know if it worked. Right now, it doesn't appear that it has. I am going to keep fiddling and try to figure this out, because I can't imagine it's all that difficult. If anyone has some helpful hints, be sure to get at me and let me know. Also, noting that I'm an HTML idiot (and kinda lazy to boot), if someone wants to fill me in on how to put pretty pretty pictures up here, that might be cool too.
|

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dan,

even though ive been quiet for the last few postings, i havent missed a single one. They are as ever so cleverly constructed in your brilliant mind.
Speaking of brilliant minds, looking forward to yours when i come back from Miami next Wed, when we set out to undermine the markets and take over the world BAAABYYYYY!!

ps. you never got back to me on that marriage proposal :)

Love always,
M

April 27, 2005 2:34 PM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

M-

I was unaware that last week, when writing something along the lines of "maybe in 10 years we'll be married with lots of babies" that constituted a marriage proposal. I definitely approve of your refusal to be boxed in by antiquated conventions and your reversal of the stereotypical gender roles, in proposing rather than waiting to be proposed to (and you take it one step further when you think about the fact that we ain't even datin'!). But in any event, I say...

OF COURSE SILLY!
But, uh... will a ring pop due for now? I know you lookin for that 35 karat bling bling, but in my pocket right now is, uh... 35 cents.

April 27, 2005 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooompa Loompa Biiatchh, who do you think i am Charlie Bucket? I demand the real rock baby!!

be it a crack rock, but a rock indeed!

Note: The opinions expressed here are not in any way those of the blogger or his affiliates.

April 27, 2005 3:16 PM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

Charlie Bucket? Uhm.... I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about...

This is great, my future wife to be (sometimes referred to as a "fiance" by some more cultured than I) is already a flippin' CRACK HOE! Great... pretty soon you're gonna be layin' on the couch, all glassy-eyed, not wanting to do anything... On second thought, I dunno bout this...

Can I just get some sex to go? Thanks.

April 27, 2005 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LoL Charlie Bucket was the main character in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

btw, from what i hear most marriages (regardless of crack involvement) end up with either one or both partners laying on the couch, all glassy-eyed, not wanting to do anything.

Sex to go? are u really making that much dough?

-Love
M

April 27, 2005 5:19 PM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

M-

Nice display of rhyming on that last one. That's hot, Paris Hilton steez.

And I think your comments about marriage are probably true, unfortunately.

April 27, 2005 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes,

the greatly successful institution of marriage, how lucky we are to have it as the pinnacle of our society.

god bless,
Love M

April 27, 2005 7:25 PM  
Blogger Jane Hamsher said...

Altercation again! That rocks, Dan. It was a damn good find & an excellent post. You deserve all the traffic you can eat.

April 27, 2005 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Altercation is the basis for all good writing :)

Plus it’s nice to spice things up once in a short while!

Id like to see more (and hopefully more fruitful) commentary than my silly rants about all things irrelevant.

Love
M

April 27, 2005 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like cabbage and broccoli but I hate asparagus and brussels sprouts. Let's fight about it. Anyone against broccoli? We got beef!

April 28, 2005 11:38 AM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

I personally like beef AND broccoli, whenever I'm seated at my local chinese dining establishment.

April 28, 2005 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why cant we all just get along!?

ps. Hey anonymous, you don’t need to hide just because you’re embarrassed about your eating habits! I welcome lovers of all vegetables...sometimes even fruits :)

April 28, 2005 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK fine, it was me. As long as you're not gonna ostracize me about this. Man it feels good to be out of the closet. Don't get me wrong though, if you like asparagus and brussels sprouts, you've got problems and you should keep that to yourself. Otherwise I might go gangsta.

April 28, 2005 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LoL oh James,

always glad to help, thats why im here.

Ok, off to Miami!!

Kisses my blogster babies!! take good care of Danny here, gets kinda lonely :)

April 28, 2005 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home