Sunday, May 08, 2005

I'm Always Forgetting Something

Ok, so I spent all of this afternoon working on the music meme post, and finally hit the "post" button and send it on its way. Content, I begin making plans to go to dinner with a friend of mine.

It's not until I pull into the parking lot of the restaurant that I realize that I didn't post who I was passing this meme on, which could be construed as a breach of blog etiquette. Not that I think it really matters, since anyone who's likely to be reading this blog has already contributed to the meme. But, if these people were to somehow stumble onto my blog and care to take up the challenge, I'd be interested to hear what Douglas Reinhardt, or Scott Stereogum had to say about it. I'd also like to hear what O-Dub and/or Junichi thought, as well as Christie, were any one of them so inclined.

-- Been meaning to say this for a week or so now: One mixtape that is getting serious love in my car CD player right now, and is sure to continue to do so for the near future, is Nick Catchdubs Oh Snap mixtape. If you like to hear some interesting and eclectic song choices, full of oringinal blends/mashups and nuanced mixing, check it out. I'll tell you this: While listening to this mix I not only actually enjoyed dancehall, but I also actually liked Snoop's "Drop It Like It's Hot" (I'm sorry, the Neptunes have fallen off huge) for the first time. It is only eight dollars post paid, I recommend it if you're looking for something new and fresh and wide ranging. It's the perfect soundtrack to a house party, if your friends either have quasi-hipster taste or are open minded (or on drugs).

-- Friday night, a few of my friends and I went out to Brother Jimmy's, in NYC. It was a dope time. Two things of note:
Above the men's urinal, there was an advertisement for Mitchum Deoderant. It read "If you can urinate for more than sixty seconds, you're a Mitchum man." Now, I'm not gonna go out and buy their deoderant or anything, and it may have been that I was already half drunk (thus qualifying as a Mitchum man), but I thought that was pretty funny.

I also met some guy who leaned over and gave me a pound and informed me the Mets had indeed won that night, after he saw my Mets hat. We got to chatting, and the inevitable "Fuck the Yankees" turn in the conversation arouse (I know the whole country is loving the fact that the Yankees eat it right now, but I don't think there's anyone who's enjoying this more than Mets fans right now. Even Boston, now that they've won the Series, their enjoyment is muted somewhat... whereas Mets fan? Oh man, now we can pop off, because at least for a little while we can tell those smug Yankee fans to fuck off and check the standings, bitches.). This dude had an interesting analogy for what has happened to the Yankees.

He said (and I'm paraphrasing): "Ever since the Yankees lost that three game lead, they're whole life has changed. They're like the guy who goes home from the bar with an absolutely gorgeous woman. They wake up in the morning only to discover that they've got herpes. Immediately, their whole life has changed. That's the Yankees."

I think that's hiliarious-- and a pretty good, albeit weird, analogy. As for me, I am trying to stay calm. If the Yankees continue to suck in the middle of June, and the Mets are still better than them, I'll start letting out 10 years of Yankee fan smugness out on some poor fools. Just wait.

Combine that with a fun atmosphere, good friends, a waitress that not only took shots with us but gave us free shots, semi-intelligent conversation about sports and life in general, not to mention Magic Hat #9 on tap... yeah, it was a good time. Throw in conversing with an old friend who for some reason you don't talk to enough over IM at 4 AM when you've both been out... good times. One of the better Friday nights on record. (Note: I try not to get too personal on here, because I think that might get a little boring, for both you and me, but just thought I'd throw that in there, since I was already on the topic of Friday night).

-- Interesting point for debate (or should I say, engaging in some mental sword fighting?): 1997-- The Best Year in Music? While I don't necessarily agree with the theis, it does make some interesting points. It does remind me that so many dope records-- (Biggie, Sleater-Kinney, and the Chemical Brothers in the span of two weeks, as well as Portishead, Radiohead, Roni Size, and even the Prodigy, not to mention Spiritualized, who I was just turned on to thanks to Jane) did actually drop in that year. My favorite part was the entry about Janet Jackson. I think I wanna get to know some of this dude's friends. [link via the Thighmaster]
|

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane Hamsher said...

Hi Dan! Just stopped by to let you know the CD hasn't arrived yet, I went up to see my friend Ricardo today and unless he's hoarding it for himself it hasn't arrived. I'll keep checking and let you know when it gets here.

May 12, 2005 1:18 AM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

Damn, that's really fucked up. It should have came by now... weird. Maybe I'll have to resend it or something (which may prove difficult, because my computer is being muy incooperable at this point in time. Hmmm....

May 12, 2005 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home