Friday, April 08, 2005

Slug and Murs: Closet Indie Rock Fans!?

Lookee what I found in my inbox yesterday:


SLUG AND MURS LAUNCH ROCK LABEL IMPRINT, WOMEN RECORDS, THROUGH RHYMESAYERS. VOX VERMILLION ALBUM SLATED AS DEBUT RELEASE, OPENING ATMOSPHERE DATES.

It's an unlikely scenario, to say the least. Two stalwarts of underground hip-hop launching a rock imprint through one of America's most respected hip hop labels. Women Records, the brainchild of Slug (Atmosphere) and Murs, was founded as an outlet to release music of the bands that they were discovering in their hometowns (Minneapolis and LA, respectively) and while on tour."Murs and I started Women due to the fact that we had become friends with so many bands that we liked, who needed to get their music heard. Rather than continue to just loan money to these kids to self release their albums, we decided to use our experience to help create a vehicle for them," explains Slug. Women quickly inked an imprint deal with Rhymesayers Entertainment, building on Atmosphere's long-time relationship with the label, as well as shared vision and staunchly independent ethos.

Vox Vermillion's debut album, Standing Still You Move Forward, is set as the inaugural full length release* for Women/RSE, May 19th. The St. Paul, MN based co-ed quartet's sound is distinctive: while a two-keyboards, bass, drums sounds like an easy recipe for a dance punk or nu new wave ensemble, Vox Vermillion stay off the dance floor. The band's sound subscribes to a warm indie-pop classicism, their piano-propelled punch reminiscent at times of both Denali and Spoon. Frontwoman Kelly Crawford's vocals are dynamic - veering from lush and dramatic to terse and restrained.



That's dope. I do think it's a little odd that two indie hip hoppers are suddenly starting an indie rock label, but hey, what do I care? I'm a real big fan of Atmosphere (more God Loves Ugly than Se7en's Travels, and don't even try to slap me with that "emo-rap" tag. I much prefer when Slug simply rips it, like "Onemosphere," "Twomosphere," "Threemosphere," "Bass and the Movement," and others. To me, Slug is so much better when he's eviscerating the competition in battle rap mode over a hard hitting Ant beat than when he's whining about his ex-girlfriend. It's why I don't much care for Lucy Ford, for example.) Murs' Murs 3:16: The 9th Edition was a quality album, with 9th Wonder on the boards. And Hell, you can't really front on the collabo between Slug and Murs, Felt: A Tribute to Christina Ricci (Giving props to Christina Ricci is always cool in my book).

With Thursday's Geoff Rickly's Astromagnetics label starting to drop product in the coming weeks, it looks like I'm gonna have a couple boutique labels run by artists that I appreciate to keep an eye on in the coming weeks.

But yo, I thought that Slug/Atmosphere started Rhymesayers? He's always dropping things like "Rhymesayers for life!" on his tracks... then again, how many artists shout out their labels only to get dropped like a year later? Regardless, I still want one of those black Rhymesayers windbreakers-- that shit is dope.

And I'm real curious to hear what Vox Vermillion and Standing Still You Move Forward sounds like. I might see if I can cop a promo copy...