Monday, April 18, 2005

Announcement/Apology

Late last night, I was planning on writing a post of some sort when I returned from picking up a friend at the airport. However, upon returning to my house, I quickly determined that half the kitchen floor was covered in water, flooded from a clogged faucet. Needless to say, the next hour and a half was spent cleaning up this aquatic wonderland formerly known as the kitchen, only to discover that a large portion of the basement was also filled with water.

Why is this a big deal to you, the gentle reader? Well, you see, the connection for my home wireless network, among other things, is downstairs. And some of the computer stuff got wet, forcing the unplugging of said equipment in order to dry it out. The network may even have to be reinstalled; thus, I will be without home internet access for at least a short while. Thus, posting on this blog will be difficult.

So, if I post sporadically for the next week or so, you'll know why. The cynical among you may be saying to yourself "Dan's gonna go a week without posting-- isn't that what happens anyway?" And to that I say, Hush! What I plan to do is type things up in Word on my laptop at home, and then save them and post them in the mornings when I get to work. Hoepfully, that will suffice for the time being, until everything gets sorted out and my basement stops resembling a mild swamp (or perhaps a brackish pool of oil, but that image could just be in my mind due to the fact that I just began to read The Prize, by Daniel Yergin).

Just wanted to let you know.

-- One quick thing, though: With the NFL draft only six days away, I thought this was rather appropriate. It is an economic analysis of the NFL draft and the value of the picks and what not, written by two scholars from the business schools of Duke and University of Chicago. When I first heard about/found this paper, I thought that it was the perfect thing to blog about, combining my love of sports with academia. I figured that I'd read the article and then write a large comment on it.

Then, I read the paper and remembered one thing: The only economics I ever took in college was Economics 101. The reason I never explored economics further was because I got a C+ in said Economics 101 (of course, a large portion of the blame there could be laid at the feet of my professor, who was an Argentinian man who barely spoke English and refused to follow the path of my $95 textbook, making that a useless purchase as well as nigh-impossible to study for tests unless you somehow were able to make sense of the chickenscratch on the board, but I digress).
The reason I remembered this was because, well.... I didn't really have a clue what these two professors were driving at in this paper. Oh sure, I understood some general points, and I think I understood their basic premise... but they lost me with all the tables and graphs and economic jargon. So yeah, that being the case, it's obviously extremely hard for me to write an intelligent critique of this paper and whether the ivory-towered academic analysis jives with the blood and guts business of quarterbacks and linebackers.

So, I leave it here for you to peruse if you're interested (I know at least one person who's gonna take a gander at it). Perhaps if any of you read it, you could explain it to me?

UPDATE 11:00 AM: Thanks to J pointing out that the link was not working (for some reason when I type the URL into my browser, it works fine, but when I hit the hyperlink, it does not--weird) on the NFL draft thing. However, you can download the paper from this site here. Hopefully, that will work. Lemme know of any problems.
|

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My understanding of the NFL, although in no way hampered by a poorly spoken Argentinian, is certainly worse than your limited knowledge of economics. However I figured that since I have a business minor, together we might be able to figure this thing out. Only thing is ... the link is broken, or at least I can't open it. Might wanna check that out.

- J

April 18, 2005 10:08 AM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

J-

Found another site that has the paper up, as you no doubt will notice from the update up above. So hopefully now you'll be able to get ahold of the paper and maybe together we can make some sense of this bizness.

April 18, 2005 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this is the kind of Blog oriented team work id like to see more of!! Sadly, my knowledge of the NFL is even more limited than that of economics (we can throw Argentinian into that mix as well)but i am indeed very cute, and would be more than willing to throw a smile your way, every so often, when the thinking gets too intense! :)

April 18, 2005 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im not exactly sure, how in all my cuteness, i managed to leave you 7 identical comments, sorry :)<--- theres another smile for ya.

-M

April 18, 2005 1:16 PM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

Ya know Maya, I looked at the comment thing and saw "11" and was like "Holy shit, I've hit the motherlode, this is awesome!" And then I realized that it was your cute self, sending me the same comment seven times... which is cool, but not quite the mother lode I was expecting!

And yes, Maya, you are indeed very cute, and I do appreciate the smiles!

April 18, 2005 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the next blog you post should be dedicated exclusively to my cuteness, and its perpetual evolvement :) <--- theres that smile again!!

-M

April 18, 2005 2:58 PM  
Blogger wanda said...

Whoa! Maya said A LOT!
My understanding of the NFL would be akin to my understanding of Argentinan. I have a mild understanding of ecomnimics but only in as much as they apply to my weekly/monthly budget. So you guys carry on, I'll just observe from the sidelines.
On the other hand I have much experience and understanding of flooded kitchens and cellers!

April 18, 2005 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda! you seem like a worthy accomplice in this blog world of sports and crude "guy talk" we should team up and shift the theme a bit, to something more substantial, ie. kitchens, smiles and such :) <---- priceless!!

-M

April 18, 2005 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I am clearly the only one in the family capable of understanding both economics and the NFL, then I will give this paper a read and get back to you. Although the guys who wrote it already get props for doing something cool with economics.

April 18, 2005 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Ben! lets not get ahead of ourselves! considering Finance is what i do for a living i can probably give it a whammy as well, although to be honest, im still much better at looking cute and smiling suggestively :) <---like such.

April 18, 2005 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of several in the family guaranteed NOT to understand either economics or the NFL, I await Ben's analysis with keen anticipation.

April 18, 2005 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Maya, although I have never met you I am fairly confident that you know nothing about football and should therefore leave talk of such things to us menfolk. I'm sure you are very talented at your financial "job" but I think we could agree that we would all be better off if you kept your comments to topics such as cooking, cleaning, and other household duties.

April 19, 2005 1:21 AM  
Blogger Black Charles said...

Maya-
You are quite good at smiling suggestively and looking cute, I will admit :) It's gonna get real, real interesting when I start working at Options and we take over the fuckin' world!

April 19, 2005 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ben,

Agreed, i have never met you either, and indeed i know little about football and all things "menfolk", but judging by your cold response i can see you are a tad bitter when it comes to the ladies, maybe you should work on letting go of all those repressed feelings of anger towards women and maybe develop a sense of humor.
Just a thought.
:)

ps. And indeed i am very good at my financial "Job"

April 19, 2005 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home