Sunday, August 28, 2005

Do Bloggers Get Writers Block?


It wouldn't seem like it (in fact, it seems that writers block would be anathma to the medium of blogging, given that you can literally just spew out anything-- whether anyone else chooses to read it of course being quite another thing), but I think I did there for a second.

If you're cynical you'd call it plain old laziness.

Nevertheless, I do have some things planned, including the first ever MSF Guest Post (oooh!), but I figured I'd slide back into the ether of blogdom with something easy. Like a new meme I picked up from Leafblower's.

I mean really, asking me to rant about 10 songs from my iTunes library that I happen to be playing alot of right now? That's right in my wheelhouse. So let's get started, shall we?

Sia - Breathe Me - Now, I don't even watch Six Feet Under. But this song alone is making me wish I did, just so I could have achieved the same apparently cathartic insane emotional experience that everyone else did last Sunday and wrap it up in this song (damn near every blog I read Monday morning was writing about it and screaming for an mp3. As usual, Stereogum came through). But as I said, I don't watch Six Feet Under, so I'm just gonna have to deal with the fact that this song is a sweeping piece of melancholic beauty (if that makes sense) that surgically implanted itself into my head this weekend. (Note: the Everything Ends soundtrack also has a hot new Arcade Fire song and a mediocre new Interpol joint).

Autolux - Turnstile Blues - Ok, I saw the video for this song a while back and totally dug the song. I thought it was the Squeak E. Clean song, because to me the drummer looked like Karen O. Anywho, finally caught the video again last week, and this song has been bumping constantly ever sense. I know some people really liked Future Perfect, but I think it's kind of uneven. Nevertheless, this song rocks.

Rilo Kiley - Pictures of Success - "Portions For Foxes" continued a trend that began with this song: That of me only really liking one song per album. This is pretty much the only song I really care anything about off Takeoffs and Landings, and lately I've been going back to it recently. It's a really simple song, but damn catchy. I have no real idea what the Hell Jenny Lewis is singing about ("I could learn world trade/ Or try to map the ocean," "I've had it with you/ And Mexico can fucking wait/ And all those French films about trains"? Huh?), but she sounds damn good doing it. It does tend to freak people out when youre going through the apartment singing "It must be nice to finish when you're dead" quietly to yourself...

Secret Lives of the Freemasons - To The Baricades! Primarily because I might be the only person left who still gives a shit about Glassjaw (or in some cases ever did to begin with). And these guys do a wonderful imitation of Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence. The only reason I even had any interest in this band was because Thursday's Geoff Rickley put it out on his new label Astro Magnetics. This song is kinda catchy, and as I said, I really like Glassjaw.

Cartel - Fleets - It's fitting that I jacked this off the Leafblower, since he tipped me off to this song as well. It's a great, groovy, melodic bastard that gets stuck in your head. I actually bought the EP, and it's not bad. I really should try and catch these guys when they play around here at some point.

Secret Machines - Better Bring Your Friends - I was late to the party on these guys, having left their CD sitting around, largely unlistened to for a long time. Finally, I gave Now Here Is Nowhere a proper listen, and totally dug it. Their new The Road Leads Where It's Led EP, with the cover of Van's "Astral Weeks" which I bet my mom would find at least marginally interesting, has me salivating for their follow up. Nevertheless, this new original is a stomper that I've been playing a lot of in the last few months.

Atmosphere - Jackin' Yo Freaks - I found this little gem on The Low End Theory through a link from Catchdubs. Those that know me know that I love me some Atmosphere, and you're telling me that Slug comes out battlin' and angry as he jacks every beat Mr. Dibbs throw as him, even appropriating the flows of N.W.A. and Aesop Rock among others. Hot fucking shit. Can't wait for You Can't Imagine How Much Fun Were Having in October. (And yeah, if you wanna say that I like Atmosphere so much simply because I prefer my emo to come equipped with booming beats and witty punchlines rather than sounding like the Promise Ring, well... you wouldn't be wrong. Just sayin'...)

Jim Jones feat. Jha Jha, Paul Wall and P. Diddy - What You Drinkin' On Hey, this track was made before the whole name change thing, so I can still feel free to drop the P. And hey, memo to "Diddy": Enough with the fucking name changes, ok? I didn't care about you when you were Sean Combs, Sean "Puffy" Combs, Puff Daddy, or P. Diddy, either. Amazingly, the wackness that is Puffy doesn't completely destroy this track, thanks to a tight little beat and nice lil' cameo from Paul Wall (the combination of The People's Champ and the Dipset works again!). All in all, Harlem: Diary of a Summer isn't Purple Haze, but it sure as hell ain't nearly as bad as the dapper gentleman pictured above. (I know that Doug Reinhardt mentions it in the comments, but it bears repeating: The only G-Unit record since Get Rich or Die Tryin' worth a shit has been from the dude that got kicked out the camp. Coincidence?)

Kanye West feat. Cam'ron and Consequence - Gone - I'm gonna weigh in on the whole Late Registration debate later on in the week-- I'm still giving absorbing it, particularly in the car-- but I can tell this: It sure as shit ain't no Five Star classic, alright? Anywho, its obvious that if I'm picking any track from the new Kanye, it's gonna be the one with Killa on it. DIP SET DIP SET DIP SET!

And oh yeah...Suge Knight got shot at a Kanye Party. How fucked is that guy? Is he even still alive anymore? Or has Suge Knight really lost his fastball?

Dangerdoom feat. Ghostface - The Mask - Anyone who liked that new Gorillaz album (I personally think it's eh, myself) or I guess The Grey Album should check this out. Throw in M.F. Doom's crazy flow over Dangermouse beats and a loose Aqua Teen Hunger Force theme, and The Mouse and The Mask ain't half bad. Throw in a Ghostface verse, and you've got funky freshness.

So there ya go! And I know I made mention of this earlier, but the comments on the last post might not have made much sense. Essentially, what happens is I go on Doug's great site and drop a comment. He'll then come here and drop a comment here. So, if you wanna know what the fuck we're talking about, you gotta read Skeet On Mischa (which you probably should be anyway).

Anywho, coming up tomorrow, the first guest post in this lil' blogs short history. Holla atcha boy.
|

1 Comments:

Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

another weird thing about that yayo record or at least, yayo's bit on the vmas last night; he comes out does "so seductive," but for the most part, its 50's verse, then a lil bit of yayo.

not mention, the whole mobb deep performing literally in the shadows of 50 at the vmas. think about, some lighting dude said, i'm gonna make a metaphor with my lighting that only nerds will understand or at least rap guys who know a thing or two about lighting schemes.

i still think "we major" is only really major achievement on "late registration" unless they do a video for "gone" and its directed by pt anderson.

August 29, 2005 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home