Sunday, December 11, 2005

The 2005 Mixtape


Ok, so unlike some folks, I didn't really feel like compiling my own list of the Top Singles of the year 2005. The idea of the single-- a song released to radio and video to sell records-- doesn't really appeal to me, as I'd rather listen to album cuts most of the time. So, instead, I've decided to do a mixtape for the music of '05, which puts together the songs that I think were dope over the past year. Understand, this is not necessarily a list of the best songs released, just ones I liked and ones that would make an interesting mixtape. I've also tried to highlight some good songs that were buried on terrible albums (Garbage, I'm looking at you) as well as selections from mixtapes and EPs and what not. The sequence was made with an eye towards creating a decent mix to listen to, so the order of the tracks is not meant to be a ranking.

Anyway, on to the mixtape! (Note: All of the following tracks will actually fit on a garden variety 80 minute CD, so head to your favorite downloading outlet and make one for yourself. Or, if you're nice, maybe I'll even make you a copy...)

1. System of a Down - Old School Hollywood
As any mixtape veteran knows (or anyone thats seen/read High Fidelity), a good mixtape has to bring the thunder with the first track-- something thats gonna get the blood flowing, be the kickoff for the musical madness thats about to come. Well, in 2005, you couldn't ask for a better lead in track than this, because it not only gets things started with just the right brand of intensity, it kicks down the doors and forces its way in. The air raid siren intro, the vocoder enhanced vocals, the thunderous drums-- this track just absolutely kicks your head in.

2. We Are Scientists - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt
While nothing is gonna match the intensity level of SOAD, this track certainly packs enough punch. The guitars chug and the drums dance, creating a foot stomping rocker that drives me nearly mental when I play it in the car. It's almost impossible to get the refrain of "My body is your body, I won't tell anybody/ If you want to use my body, go for it" out of your head though, I warn you. Hat tip to Kyle for first poining me in the direction of these NYC rockers.

3. M.I.A. - Pull Up The People
My favorite song from one of the blogosphere's most championed/debated/hated artists of '05. Something about the stylish way she endlessly repeats her name during the intro and the hot beat that just pulls me in. I don't know much about her politics except for the fact that her father is/was a Tamil Tiger, and I don't particularly know if M.I.A. is truly a "soldier on a roll," but as long as she keeps making jams like this, we won't have any problems.

4. Lady Sovereign - Random
Had to continue the multicultural flavor that M.I.A. started with everyone's favorite pint sized 16 year old British fire starter. From the somewhat bizarre lyrics (much in the vein of fellow Brit The Streets) to the bouncy beat to the tossing in of the Freddy Kreuger chant midway through the song-- this song brings the funk by the ton. With the marketing muscle of Jay-Z and Def Jam behind her, she should be big in '06 (more on that tomorrow).

5. Cam'ron feat. Hell Rell - Get 'Em Daddy (Eye of the Beholder)
The cocky confidence just slides all over this track, so much so that you can almost feel the swagger of Cam and Rell seeping through your speakers. This is probably my single favorite rap song of the year, from Cam'rons boasting on the intro ("They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thats why I look in the mirror every morning and realize how fly I am. They wanna know what fucking label I'm signing to? I'm the CEO of Diplomat Records, I sng myself-- Get your cake up!") to the call and response "Get 'Em Daddy!" "Daddy Got 'Em!" chorus, I just fucking love this song. In a year when the Diplomats as a whole had a lot of moments in the sun, this track stands as the pinnacle of Dipset output for the year. The remix bumps too.

6. Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
Brooding yet bouncy, this track is a delicious slice of dark electro-pop from Witching Hour. one of the years better albums. I played this song about five times in a row the frist time I heard it, and it definitely makes the morning drive to work a little more lively. Shout to my man Douglas for first tipping me off to this awesome little jam.

7. Secret Machines - Better Bring Your Friends
Another foot stomping rocker from a band that is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. The Road Leads Where It's Led, the EP from which this song comes, was one of my favorites of the year, what with the covers of Van Morrison and Bob Dylan, among others. I'm definitely hoping for a new album from them in 2006.

8. Audioslave - Yesterday to Tomorrow
Simply put: With about a minute and a half to go in the song, Tom Morello absolutely kills it. Best guitar solo of 2005 (for those of you that care about such things).

9. The Clipse feat. Ab-Liva and Sandman - Zen
The song, first heard on the Anger Management 3 mixtape, only hinted at what We Got It For Cheap 2 confirmed: Holy fuck, the Clipse are back. And they're not the same wack dudes who hide behind the Neptunes beats (back when the Neptunes absolutely owned the production game), they're a holy terror. And the beat? Fuck Gwen Stefani, this shit is B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

10. Kanye West feat. Jay-Z - Diamonds Are Forever (Remix)
Ok, so I'm a bigger fan of this song than some others, maybe. But I was disappointed that Late Registration didn't feature more bangers like this one, and Jigga's verse? My Lord. "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week," indeed.

11. Z-Trip feat. Chuck D - Shock And Awe
Even though Public Enemy has sort of fumbled towards irrelevancy, it's still always nice to hear Chuck D rip a fat beat. Z-Trip's thunderous rock influenced (remember this is the dude that came to prominence behind tracks like "Rockstar" off the Return of the DJ Volume II compilation) beat serves as the perfect foundation for Chuck to unload his discontentment and righteous anger.

12. Ghostface - Be Easy
Staten Island's in the house, put the record on replay. How is it that Ghostface is the only Wu member who you can reasonably expect quality records from anymore? Pete Rock on the beats comes correct, and Ghost tosses off one liners like "You be frontin' like you got a lot chicks/ You at home, beating your dick." After Kanye, I'm afraid to say that had his new record dropped this year it'd probably be on my best albums list, but if it sounds anything like this, it'd have to be on it. And a pretty high numver, too-- this song is nuts. 'Face also shines on "The Mask" from Dangerdoom's The Mouse and The Mask, one of the more fun records of the year.

13. Royksopp - What Else Is There (Thin White Duke remix)
Jacques Lu Cont has been dropping solid remixes (Since U Been Gone, Mr. Brightside, Starsailor's "Four To The Floor") for a while now. Here, he works his magic on one of the better tracks from a very good album, The Understanding, mixing up eight and a half minutes of chilled, understated funk. Because of "Poor Leno," everyone associates these Norweigans are the "chill out" kings, but they're far more versatile than that, as this remix actually turns down the tempo from the original, but it works. Another solid slab of wax from Mr. LuCont.

14. Deep Dish featuring Stevie Nicks - Dreams (Fleetwood Mac cover)
It's ok to be skeptical. I mean, the idea of a house remix of.... a Fleetwood Mac song? Well, it does boggle the mind a bit, certainly. But the fact that Stevie Nicks herself flew over to record the vocals, so it's obviously got her seal of approval, helps quell the suspicion. And then somehow, the deep, bouncy beat manages to wrap its grooves into Nicks' vocals, and you've got yourself a bangin' little number.

15. Garbage - Sex Is Not The Enemy
When I was initially trying to order this mix, I had this song at #1 or #2 in the sequence. But I decided that you couldn't find a better opener than SOAD, and We Are Scientists just fit. Slotting this in at third would have blown my load too early, so here it is, providing one last rev-up before the final descent. I get off on the roaring guitars and the cooing of Shirley Manson. So sue me.

16. Atmosphere - Little Man
If you're just talking about putting quality product on the streets, between Felt 2 and the new Atmosphere album, Slug might just be my MC of the year. This song, which caps off You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having, is one of my favorites of the year. Ant cooks up yet another soulful heatrock, and Slug addresses his son, his father, and himself with each of his verses. I particularly enjoy his self-critique "Hows the love? Hows the music? Hows the self abusiveness?...You're getting old, your raps are exhausting, stop it, everybody knows that you've lost it." It's almost as if, even in full on somber mode, Slug takes the time to wink at the detractors that have been harping since Overcast (three albums ago).

17. Maximo Park - Acrobat
Uhm, when did Warp start putting out indie rock records? I mean, aren't they all Prefuse 73 and Autechre? Now they're signing the British version of Interpol? Hey, whatever. I warn you, this song is kind of a downer, but that's why it's the second to last track-- would be a very depressing way to end the mix. However, it is understated and somehow wormed it's way into my consciousness. A strong track from a strong album.

18. Sia - Breathe Me
Just as this song wrapped up the final act of Six Feet Under, so to it closes out this mixtape in haunting fashion. Remixes by Four Tet (who I like better as a remixer than full blown solo artist) and especially Mylo were nice, but they can't touch the emotion packed original. Just a tremendous, beautiful song, which ends a look back at 2005 all neat and tidy like.

Also, since were in the full on listing mode, do check out Skeet's rundown of the Babes of '05 which he dropped this past week. Quite good. Skeet Skeet Skeet!