Thursday, November 17, 2005

Knock, Knock, Who's There, Killa Cam, Killa Cam -- in San Diego!?

Friends, romans, countrymen-- I do apologize for my long abscence. I had not intended to stay away so long, but your boy has had smiles some smiles and some frowns, some ups and downs along the way, y'all know how it is. I had also intended to post some cuts from the surprisingly not awful Fort Minor/Green Lantern mixtape We Major a few weeks ago, such as Juelz Santana rhyming over "Sweet Child O' Mine" (I shit you not), as well as some hot rhymes laid over the "Banquet" break from my boys Bloc Party, but it's kinda late for that. If you're nice, maybe I'll still consider it.

But anyway.... y'all wanna know why I was really away for so long?

Your faithful friend Dan here has been a little bit depressed. And why, you ask?

Ian has got me depressed. Seriously, I don't know how I didn't discover this dude earlier. The half baked thoughts that fly in and out of my head, the half developed ideas I spit out in two sentences on this blog... dude turns into a fully formed thesis. Seriously... I thought that Simmons or Klosterman were the guiding lights I looked to as far as writing... but damn, this kid makes me want to put the pen down, shut off the laptop, and just give the game up. Kinda like how thousands of dudes in Brooklyn musta put aside their dreams of ever rockin' the mic the first time they heard Biggie spit on some street corner (Actually.... I don't know how true that statement is. Given the level of originality in current hip hop, those same thousands of motherfuckers probably thought "I can get rich if I just bite that fat cat's style!" But I digress...)

First it was this ridiculously blazing hot must read comparison of college football teams and rappers. Or peep this, where he flips an idea I myself discussed, and manages to perfectly capture how my man The Sportsguy has lost his fastball over the last 12-18 months (and sorry Grambo, I love you, and I'm the biggest Simmons fan you'll ever find-- see above-- but dude totally has slipped up. I can practically see dude chilling on the beach in Cali, dictating his columns to his editor over his cell phone while he sips a Corona at this point, but again I digress...) at the same damn time.

But enough dicklicking. What we are really all here to discuss and pontificate is this: Killa Cam's impending departure from Queens.

And yes, on the surface, this is a ridiculous trade for the Mets. But there has to be something understand by all the panicked denizens of Flushing (including my boy Rosie, who loves him some Killa Cam): This trade is only the opening salvo of the offseason.
At the very least, this trade opens up anywhere from $4-6 million dollars in the payroll for the Mets. Money which can be rapidly spun towards Billy Wagner (who the Mets desperately want and is being actively courted next week), Rafael Furcal (in order to have any hope of getting him to come to Queens and switch to second, the Mets will have to outbid everyone else), or to pay for someone like Manny Ramirez or Carlos Delgado.

Not only does it open some room in the payroll, but Nady becomes an inexpensive trade chip. Sure, he's his stock has certainly dropped since a few years ago, when his name was mentioned as one of the best prospects in baseball, but he's still only 27, and don't forget the Petco Park effect. Sure, Shea Stadium is a pitcher's park, but Petco is a hitters graveyard (Want proof? Just look at Brian Giles' stat lines). It is not unreasonable to think that Nady can be a relatively productive fifth or sixth hitter and 1B/RF in Flushing.

And of course, Nady's age, contract, and still present potential make him an ideal trade chip. I could see him packaged with some prospects to Boston for Manny or penny pinching Florida for Delgado.

There's no question that it hurts to see Mike Cameron leaving the Mets. By all accounts, he was the centerpiece of the Mets clubhouse, the guy that kept everyone else laughing and loose. Its not coincidence that the Mets noticably sagged after his horrific collision with Beltran this summer. He was a loyal soldier, moving to RF despite his Gold Gloves in center and playing stellar defense after Beltran took his spot last winter with minimal bitching. Yes, there's no doubt that Killa Cam will be missed.

But this is only the first in what will likely be many of Omar Minaya's mad machinations, as he moves the chess pieces around the board. And I trust Omar Minaya, maybe more so than any GM that the Mets have had since Frank Cashman (admittedly not saying much). This is a man who stole the premier free agent that rightly should have belonged to the hated Yankees (Beltran), who correctly gambled that Pedro would be dominant in the NL (although we'll see if that's the case in 2007 and '08). So, while on the surface Nady for Cameron looks as bad as Kazmir for Zambrano, I have faith.

Faith that Omar knows what he's doing. Faith that in the coming weeks, we're gonna get Billy Wagner. That we're gonna get a stand out catcher. That we're gonna get the big bat we need. That he'll make this work.

I really have no other choice.

Related: Read Faith and Fear in Flushing's take on the trade. Like Jay-Z, they do this in their sleep (although, to my knowledge, they have never sold kilos of coke or CD's).
|

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Killa Dan. Even as a devout Yankee fan I must admit I liked watchin Killa Cam play; he had a sweet swing, serious speed and some fine leather. But as you alluded to, Omar is a crazy bastard who might have something here as Nady is listed as a slash player (1B/OF) and it gives the mets flexibility to do what they need to do like putting a pure (vomit) star like Victor Diaz in the OF.

On the CD tip, go out and Get SOAD Hypnotize when all you bastards can. The shit is gonna be a PURE heat rock (word to anyone who wants to wait on line with me tomorrow to get $2 Bill tickets to see those rocking bastards at Webster Hall on 11/23). I know mr Alper likes to pump info on the hippity-hop but we cant ignore the best working band right now.

Peace you simpletons.

November 18, 2005 5:29 PM  
Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

yeah, that fort minor/green lantern tape isn't too bad. will i buy the album? nope.

the new dip mixtape is good; lot of cam on it.

November 20, 2005 2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home