Friday, April 15, 2005

IPM Mix #1: Music For Our Fearless Leader

Ok, so I know I've gone a few days without posting, and I apologize. However, it is not for the reason that you may think, namely a debaucherous birthday celebration and the hungover haze that would accompany such activities. Rather, it's more like a METS WINNING STREAK HAZE! (Translation: I went to see the Mets play on Monday afternoon and Wednesday night, both games they won. Combined with last night's victory, they are riding a four game winning streak and find themselves with the same exact record as the hated Yankees, this after starting the season a pitiful 0-5.)

Now that we got that out of the way, and I have apologized for keeping my faithful readers (all six of you) in the lurch for a few days, it is time to get on with the task at hand: Namely, the creation of a mixtape for our President, George W. Bush.

Wait, wha....?

Let me explain. A month or so ago, I joined something which is called the International Mixtape Project. Basically, it is a pyramid scheme for mixtapes, in which you are assigned a random person to mail a mix to, and at some point you get a mix mailed to you from some other completely random person. Now, as I've explained my compulsion towards mixtapes before, this seemed like the perfect vehicle to try out various themed mixes I've been dying to create in my head, as well as subject random strangers to my taste in music (Part of the reason why I like mixtapes is because, well... basically, I'm a music snob, and when I pass someone a CD full of dope tracks that they've probably never heard, it makes me look "hip" and thus proves my inherent coolness. No discussion of the psychological motivations behind my desire to prove my worthiness through my record collection, thank you very much).

Which brings us up to now, in which I was "assigned" to make a slammin' little CD for a fine gentleman from Sandy Eggo, Kalifornia. Now, being that this particular gentleman happens to reside on the Left Coast, I figured it would be the perfect time to create a CD I've been dying to put on blast-- namely, a mix full of NY hip hop MCs shouting out and representing the best goddamn state in the Union, New York. What better way to show pride in where you're from, to "represent"? Do I know if dude likes hip hop, or cares about New York? Certainly not. Do I care? Hell no!

But then, inspiration struck, forcing me to push back the planned NY mix a month. The inspiration came here, from one of my favorite bloggers, Jane from Firedoglake. Riffing on a recent New York Times article about what is on President Bush's iPod, Jane asked "So, what would you like to say to George via his iPod?" Immediately, I fired off a comment listing a handful of songs that came to my mind (all of which are on my iPod), and voila! My first IPM mix, merging two seemingly disparate interests into one! So, without further ado, I bring to you:
(BTW, if you have any interest in joining the International Mixtape Project, hit my man Ryan off with an email at International.Mixtape.Project@gmail.com and send him your name and mailing address.)

International Mixtape Project Mix #1: Music To Fill George W. Bush's Head (Because Something Has to Take Up The Empty Space)

1. Public Enemy - Welcome To The Terror Dome
Every good mixtape needs to start with a bang, and this is doubly so when composing a tape for the Dubs. What better way to capture his attention and display my anger than the black rage of Chuck D and the mind-bending production of the Bomb Squad, from the seminal album Fear of a Black Planet? The song is fifteen years old, yet it still resonates. By far, my favorite Public Enemy song ever (I even titled my second-ever post on this here blog Welcome To The Terror Dome, in homage).
An aside: Remember when Chuck D used to call Public Enemy "the black CNN"? I don't think that's something he'd aspire to today... and who's "the black Fox News"? 50 Cent?
2. Thurday - War All The Time
Lyrically, this song talks about the "war" of growing up in today's society, rather than actual bombs and guns, but I'm sure G-Dubs would appreciate the title, since he seems bound and determined to involve this fair nation in a state of war, all the time. The subtle, rolling guitars are beautiful, and lyrically, Geoff paints a rather frightening picture of modern day America: "We grew up too fast, falling apart like the ashes of American flags. The sun doesn't rise, replaced it with an H-Bomb explosion, a painted jail cell of blood in the sky like Three Mile Island. Nightmares on TV, they used to sign us to sleep, they burn on and on like an oil field, or a memory of what it felt like to burn on and on and not fade away." Just a powerful, emotion-filled song-- my favorite cut from my favorite album of 2003.
3. Ministry - NWO (New World Order)
C'mon, you know that if anything, Dubya would get a kick out of the sampled voice of his ideological idol, Ronald Reagan. He probably wouldn't pay attention to the rest of the song, and the pounding industrial rhythms would probably hurt his ears, but he'd at least dig the Gipper.
4. Interpol - Evil
Because, quite frankly, George W. Bush is evil.
5. The Killers - Everything Will Be Alright
This song, much like Bush's presidency, is a rambling, over blown, largely incoherent mess. When 2008 arrives, I pray that everything will be alright (although I don't have much hope).
6. Metallica - One
Here, we once again return to the war theme, because it seems to be what gets Dubya all hot and bothered. This song, inspired by Dalton Trumbo's fantastic novel Johnny Got His Gun, illustrates in vivid detail shows the horrific consequences of modern war. I doubt that the image of an armless, legless, deaf mute WW I land mind victim would make much of an impact on our Fearless Leader, but at least he could rock out to the explosive drums and fierce guitars and maybe flash back to his days as a coke snorting, booze guzzling jerk off frat boy.
7. Monster Magnet - Negasonic Teenage Warhead
"Me and myself killed a world today. Me and myself got a world to save." No further explanation necessary.
8. Muse - Sing for Absolution
If things keep going the way they're going, we're all going to be on our knees, singing for absolution.
9. Radiohead - Electioneering
"I will stop, I will stop at nothing. Say the right things when electioneering, I trust I can rely on your vote. When I go forwards, you go backwards and somewhere we will meet.When I go forwards you go backwards and somewhere we will meet. Ha ha ha. Riot shields, voodoo economics,it's just business, cattle prods and the I.M.F. I trust I can rely on your vote."
Yeah, I think G-Dubs understands this one real well. Can't you see him pushing up the knob on the Oval Office stereo and telling Rovey baby to get in their and rock out with him?
10. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
The boys at one of my new favrite blogs, The Decadent West noted puzzlement with G-Dub's affinity for John Fogerty. The obvious choice here would be to go with "Fortunate Son," yet I refuse to be that obvious. Besides, I think that this song is more appropriate. Let's be honest, if you don't think there's a bad moon rising over America, you've lost your fucking mind. My favorite CCR tune, to boot.
11. Z-Trip featuring Chuck D - Shock And Awe
Twenty years in the game, Chuck D still ain't calmed down, and this track finds him in perfect form. Z-Trip gives him the pulpit, in the form of a righteously bombastic beat, from which to let loose verbal automatic fire over all kinds of things. Chuck D can sometimes become a caricature of himself, but when he's on, he's fucking on. Modern hip hop needs more songs like this, less "Candy Shop."You know when Dubs throws this on, he just has to cue up the video highlights of thje "Shock And Awe" campaign and just rock out. Which brings us to...
12. System of a Down - B.Y.O.B. (Bring Your Own Bombs)
When singer Serj harmonizes "Everybody's goin' to the party, have a real good time, dancin' in the desert, blowing up the sunshine" over the chorus, you know Dubs is feelin' him. That whole bit about "Why don't Presidents fight the war? Why do they always send the poor?" Probably not so much. Probably the only song to ever cast the Iraq war as one giant party in the desert (tongue firmly planted in cheek).

So there it is. Think I should send a copy to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?
And if you never read another post from me, you know the Secret Service got me and I'm probably rotting away in Guantanamo Bay. Constitution? What Constitution? We don't need no stinkin' Constitution!

Other Odds and Sods

Since it's been a week or so since I've posted anything of note (I apologize once again, I'm trying to get more reliable, and I've got some good shit coming soon-- at least I think it's good), I thought I'd hit you off with some links and what not to help you pass the time between the feverish refreshing of this page (Maya, I'm looking at you).


-- This picture is so gangsta. I love cats. [link via Poplicks]

-- Chuck Palahniuk, author of Fight Club and other novels, has an interesting little essay,
here. Like most of Palahniuk's work, it's a little bizarre and off-center, but I found it thought provoking. Discuss.

-- If you're thinking about moving (as I hope to sooner rather than later), than this little utility, merging Google maps and Craiglist, will be invaluable to you. Anyone else think that Google is rapidly taking over the world? [link originally found through All Things Christie.]

-- My idol, the Sports Guy, shouted out where I live here (scroll down to the second to last paragraph). Technically, I don't live in Port Chester, but considering that if you put it Port Chester as my mailing address, I receive the mail, I'm claiming it for these purposes. This will be the first and only time that I claim to be from Port Chester (not that Rye Brook is that much better, but still...). And no, I don't know where this Sam's bar is. But believe me, if it still exists, I will before the weekend is out! (An aside: When the Hell was the Sports Guy, a Boston native who went to Holy Cross, doing playing bar shuffleboard in Port Chester, on what appears to be several occasions, no less? A better question: Why do I care?)

-- I heartily recommend that everyone, but especially my female readers (because it is geared more towards them) figure out Which Desperate Housewife Are You? I took it, and it told me that I am Lynette, the extremely stressed, sometimes overly medicated homemaker. I don't know exactly what this indicates, as I've only seen the show a few scattered times, but... I'm a little worried.

-- If you like hip hop, you've got to check out this site. It's hiliarious.

-- Pitchfork says that my new favorite band, Bloc Party, have scheduled more US tour dates. Who wants to go to Webster Hall on June 14/15 to see them with me!?!

That's all for now. Holla at the kid!
|

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im very glad youre now focusing on the importaint things! ie. How i manage my personal time!! you are a magnificent man with a magnificent mind, im glad to see you put it to great use :)
Love you!!

April 15, 2005 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choices Dan...

...although you missed one...

WWIII by K.M.F.D.M.

;-)

April 16, 2005 4:08 AM  
Blogger Jane Hamsher said...

Of course I want a copy!

April 18, 2005 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home